Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Honorable Mention: Preschool Mishaps


"You can learn many things from children.  
How much patience you have, for instance."  
~Franklin P. Jones

Preschool mishaps are bound to happen. Like a child cutting their hair. It’s times like these where having a rapport with parents really pays off. It can make the difference between a situation having humor losing having a complaint filed against you.
We were sitting enjoying ourselves in the art center. It seemed the children decided to make clippings and neatly place them in make shift envelopes to ‘mail’. Quite a large group was gathering here and we all chatted and socialized as I kept a watchful eye on everyone. Preschoolers and scissors don't always mix, you know.
I noticed Lana picking up some clippings walking with scissors. I cautioned her to be careful and followed her. As I was showing her how to properly walk with scissors she had a curious look in her eye as she eyed her long flowing hair.
“Lana?” I said.
Quick as a flash she grabbed a few locks and….well. Chop!
Now….ahem. One would think I had some words of wisdom…some pearls.
My response was, “Hasa-feee-alibahbah!” (I still don’t know what that means)
Lana seemed to snap out of her little trance and apologized. We had a talk.
When her mother, Lisa came to pick her up I met her at the door and explained Lana would look a little different. She busted out laughing and said she would keep the ‘evidence’ in Lana’s baby book. She had a talk with Lana, too.
What has really helped me through 'preschool mishaps' is to call every parent at the beginning of the year and establish that report from the beginning. Mishaps like this may not happen, but I act like they will.

No comments: