Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Applying Piaget's Developmental Theory in Early Childhood Education


“The principle goal of education in the schools should be creating men and women who are capable of doing new things, not simply repeating what other generations have done.”~Jean Piaget

There is a lot to say about developmental theorists and where it all started in early childhood education. After a while, getting to know my preschoolers and organizing my class seems like good old fashion common sense. But before I actually got the hang of preschool my common sense was not so common.
I enjoy David Elkind and Jean Piaget.  After a while I realized there were a lot of fancy words they used with applications that were automatic within the preschool environment, or a home daycare. Here are some of Piaget’s developmental theory highlights…
Piaget on Learning
Learning is a creative activity. The child always takes something of himself or herself and puts it all together to construct a product that is new-a product that cannot be reduced to either the child or the environment.
Piaget on the Teacher’s Role
The role of the teacher is to create an attractive environment conducive to learning. The end point is the ability to have rules and to use rules in flexible and open ways while creating fresh ones for new situations.


Do you think Piaget’s Developmental Theory still hold true today?

4 comments:

VKT said...

I do indeed! I cut my teeth as a teacher on Elkind and Piaget and I still adhere to their theories. I have been around long enough to watch my former public school system throw the baby out with the bath water more times than I care to mention. It was like they were always trying to reinvent the wheel rather than to embrace sound research. Ack...I am on my soapbox here...sorry

Barbra The Bloggess said...

VKT
You are too funny. I have my soap box issues, too. I think I read almost very book Elkind wrote....If they had an Elkind coloring book I probably would have bought that too.
No apology needed.
Believe me...I understand...

Anonymous said...

I loved this blog. My parents do not understand that why I must send my younger sister to a kindergym in Central Coast. I told them it’s good for their daughter and she will learn and turn into be an independent woman.
early child development and care centres central coast

Unknown said...

Thanks for this great post . Piaget theory mainly emphasizes on cognitive development of a child and how it can be developed.Piaget firmly believed that childhood plays a major role in a person’s development. This is really a good theory and every daycare and childcare centers should practice this approach.