Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Honorable Mention: What It's Like Being a Preschool Teacher in Early Childhood Education

 “People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child -- our own two eyes. All is a miracle.”
~Thich Nhat Hanh

Sometimes we as adults get childhood amnesia. I believe it's curable. The remedy may be making mud pies outside, or lying in the soft grass looking up at the clouds to see how many images you can find…..
If you love being around children, however, you must appreciate their inborn sense of wonder. They won’t let you for get the miracles around you each day. I like to document some of their interesting questions & remarks from over the years as an early childhood educator.
I just thought I would share the miracles they see….

“Is the Earth hanging in God’s closet….a-cause I don’t see the hanger!” (Three-year-old looking at a picture of the earth taken from the space shuttle)

“I see trees movin’, grass movin’, and my hairs is a-movin’. But what’s movin’ the movin’?” (Three-year-old marveling on a very windy day)

“Hey! Somebody took my seed and put a bigger one in its place!” (Four-year-old amazed by the growth of the bean he planted)

“Up in the sky! I see a cow…no, never mind, it’s a cat…now it’s a car…now it’s a rabbit, now it looks like my little brother! That’s weird!”
(A five-year-old looking at the clouds on a windy day)

“If God is bowling right now He must have got a strike right there.”
(A four-year-old whispered to another while listening to a thunderstorm)

3 comments:

Edie Parrott said...

Barbra, I don't leave comments often, but I never miss one of your posts. I love how you are always able to depict the wonder of young children. I always smile.

Thank you!
Edie Parrott
http://www.gladlywoulditeach.com

Dan Gurney said...

This is one of my very favorite quotes by Thay. Miracles are everywhere. The older I get (and the more I shut mass culture out of my life) the more marvelous, mysterious, and wonderful the world becomes. It's awash is miracles, and yes, young children tend to easily tune in to the sublime wonderfulness we're awash in.

Barbra The Bloggess said...

Hello Edie & Dan,
I appreciate your heart felt comments.
Thank you. :)