Friday, February 19, 2010

Working with Parents as Partners in Early Childhood Education

“It's so hard when I have to, and so easy when I want to.”
~Annie Gottlier

Creating a sense of community takes time in a preschool environment. I think of it much like building a small city. Everyone has a place and a task….and of course, a temperament.
I really have to spend lots of time getting to know each child as much as I can. Talking with children, doing activities along with the children; math, science and clean up times...everyday routines really do count. One on one bonding can be a difficult task when there are so many little ones at first- but when I spend time investing in the parents and families it makes it much smoother.
This is how I stay connected to families and children:
*I’ll write personal notes on colorful stationary.
*Send home updated questionnaires on changes to foods, allergies, likes and dislikes, usually every 3-6 months (depending on the child)
*Send home humorous anecdotes their child says.
*Thank you notes for having their child come play with us and the wonderful skills I am seeing developing.
I have often seeing that children look to their parents for how to react to school or new situations. Sometimes I spend more time consoling a parent over a situation than a child….and this is necessary for everyone involved, in the end.
I remember one conversation I had with a preschooler while I was working with her mother during her child's preschool transition.
“Ms. Barbra?”
“Yes?”
“I think my mom like for me to go to school now. Yeah.”
“You think so, huh?’
“Yeah-huh, a-cause she didn’t cry in the car today.”
“That sounds sad. Do you like school, though?”
“Yeah-huh, but she really needs to stop crying forever.”
In what ways do you stay connected to young children and families?

No comments: