Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Honorable Mention: Get Growing

 "If a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it."
~Edgar Watson Howe

Ever notice how children move into action when someone is in trouble? Babies are some of the most empathetic 'little people' on earth…they will cry with you. Kids hug you; make you 'a present'-usually covered in glue or some other sticky substance-but the message always comes across.
A million hallmark cards couldn’t beat one handmade card from a child’s heart.
It’s true…what my mom told me.
“That from the heart reaches the heart.”
Okay…so we can’t all go back to physically being a kid….but I know we can get that heart back.
I believe the human soul can mature…but really, it has no age.
So I guess it’s my turn now….to implement what the kids have been teaching me.
To get growing and put love into action….

2 comments:

Montessori on Mars said...

You are right; some say children don't understand much, but really, they understand more than we imagine. And they know just what to say.

Just last September, a devastating typhoon and flood hit our country, to top of all the worries and losses, I was crying because our dog, Whoopie, swam in the flood water (he's a labrador retriever and he just jumped right into the flood--maybe because the raging waters really looked like a river). My 8-year-old sister saw that I was crying. She gave me a letter saying, "Please don't cry. Whoopie will be ok. We'll take care of her. Sorry I can't control the weather."

Barbra The Bloggess said...

Oh Mars! I am so sorry...
Dear friends of mine have family there. We got together and cried.
Later they recalled the good times times & sent we sent lots of food and clothing....It's so true-you never know where your comfort will come from...but you can definitely tell when it is sincere...