Saturday, December 26, 2009

Even Stephens

 "I have three precious things which I hold fast and prize. The first is gentleness; the second frugality; the third is humility, which keeps me from putting myself before others. Be gentle and you can be bold; be frugal and you can be liberal; avoid putting yourself before others and you can become a leader among men.”
~ Lao-Tzu

It seems like the quote is a contradiction.
I suppose it depends on how you look at it….where you have been and where you perceive you are going.
I finished eating myself sideways with holiday leftovers sitting in a comfy chair with a family that loves me. I have no lack for anything….
As far as teaching goes I learned more than I was taught, I received more than I gave, and I was loved more than I loved…
I wonder how I could ever make up the difference for all the blessings I have received this year. I could never come close to even….but then I realized….no one ever asked me to make it even.
For that, I am thankful.
Thank you…and
I love you, too.

1 comment:

Dan Gurney said...

I've noticed the same thing. John Lennon said, "And, in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." But in my experience it seems often than more love is given to us than we can ever give back. It's fun to try to "even" the score, and amazing how incredibly generous and beautiful the world can be. We must be grateful, grateful, grateful, aware of our good fortune, and as generous as we can be.