Thursday, January 6, 2011

When You Thought I Wasn't Looking, Teacher


When you thought I wasn’t looking, you displayed my first report, and I wanted to do another.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, you fed a stray cat, and I thought it was good to be kind to animals.


When you thought I wasn’t looking, you gave me a sticker, and I knew that little things were special things.


When you thought I wasn’t looking, you put your arm around me, and I felt loved.

When you thought I wasn’t looking I saw tears come from your eyes, and I learned that sometimes things hurt--but that it’s all right to cry.


When you thought I wasn’t looking, you smiled, and it made me want to look that pretty too.


When you thought I wasn’t looking, you cared, and I wanted to be everything I could be.

When you thought I wasn’t looking--I looked...and wanted to say thanks for all those things you did when you thought I wasn’t looking. 

By Mary Rita Schilke Korzan,"WHEN YOU THOUGHT I WASN’T LOOKING"

4 comments:

Dan Gurney said...

Very nice. I like this!

Barbra The Bloggess said...

Hi Dan! It is a sweet poem isn't it. I remember 'watching' my teacher as well. I think good teachers understand that 'little things' can be greater than the 'big things'.

Dhilma said...

Hi, I wrote this on my son
s nursery school teacher's birthday card and it made her cry. It made me cry too, when I explained what it meant to my small son. A lovely poem. Thanks for sharing.

Barbra The Bloggess said...

Hi Dhilma,
Your welcome! I am so glad it touched you both.
Cheers!