Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Just Do It


When I was a little girl I really wanted to be a ballerina. I was about 4 years old and I only had to see the Nut Cracker one time before I know that was it. My foundation was sent and I had wrapped re-bar around that notion.
My parents didn't have much money but made a way for me to go to ballet lessons. I was very small for my age and my sister joked that my tutu was more or less a one-one. I worked really hard but my teacher finally confided that I would be too small to ever really dance.
I was heartbroken.
My parents sat down with me and told me that whatever I had a mind to do. Just do it. Don't listen to what anyone has to say. That conversation really changed my life. I decided later that I wasn't going to pursue ballet about a year later. The Olympics came on and I saw the gymnasts. That was it again!
I am glad my family really supported me through my hundreds of career ideas. I never would have known what to do unless I gave it my all.

What dreams did you have as a kid?

2 comments:

Jenni said...

A teacher! That's what I always wanted to do...teach. I never dreamed of anything else.

Sure, I danced (tap, jazz, and ballet) and played the piano (both things I am still passionate about, but as a hobby and recreational); but I declared in 3rd grade that I would teach deaf children in the 3rd grade.

I stuck with that dream until my senior year of college (true story). Then, after working 4 years in the lab school as a work study with toddlers (plus the 6 prior years in various preschool/home child care/etc...) I decided that I would stick with the little ones...still teacher, just not 3rd graders; nor deaf children, but I use all that ASL I learned in my classrooms!

Barbra The Bloggess said...

That is really awesome, Jenni. To really know what you wanted so young. I was in first grade when I considered it but it wasn't until I was 16 that I really wanted to do it. I always thought of it as 'helping' people. I never dreamed it would help me as well.