Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Creating an Environment for Kindness with Kids

"No one has yet realized the wealth of sympathy, the kindness and generosity hidden in the soul of a child. The effort of every true education should be to unlock that treasure."
~Emma Goldman

I had once began to get a bit overwhelmed with teaching when I first started. There was a lot to do with little or no time to do it. But as I began working with the kids I realized they we capable of much more than I was giving them credit for. As I began to show them how to do simple tasks and give them responsibilities as a group or as individuals I noticed the children began to take initiative on their own. They gained confidence in solving their own problems, cleaning up messes, and seeking out help from their peers. I encouraged it, commended them for it, and cheered them on. It almost was like I wasn't necessary at times until I realized that wasn't really it. Creating an environment for preschoolers to work in such ways was part of my job. I believe whenever kids are given the opportunity to work together they will rise to the task. The patience, encouragement, and good examples I give them are always up to me....well, perhaps up to all of us.

No comments: