Monday, May 31, 2010

Understanding Preschoolers and Sharing

"The greatest oak was once a
little nut who held its ground."

I love to have The Toddlers Creed poem up on the preschool room door. A sense of humor and go a long way when a parent is concerned about a child not sharing right away in preschool. The words, developmentally approprate and milestone in development just don't have the same effect when a parent simply wants their child to be everyone's friend and pal.  I actually do like the fact that the preschoolers begin to assert themselves. After all, it is a critical time in their development while they experiment with language. The key for me is to be available to them through the process.
I always tell families, "It's all just fine. Besides, we are all highly trained professionals here."

The Toddlers Creed
If I want it,
it's mine.
If I give it to you and change my mind later,
it's mine
If I can take it away from you,
it's mine.
If I had it a little while ago,
it's mine.
If it's mine,
it will never belong to anybody else,
no matter what.
If we are building something together,
all the pieces are mine.
If it looks just like mine,
it is mine.

No comments: