Thursday, May 13, 2010

Tips For Connecting With Parents

 Everyone is the age of their heart. 
~Guatemalan Proverb

I really appreciate the support from families and parents in the classroom. Often I have been told by parents that they are not sure how to be helpful in the classroom. I really make an effort to set up a comfortable inviting environment for families to be welcome and participate as soon as possible.
It really is no different than setting up a comfy learning environment for kids, I suppose a bit of a gear shift in thinking.

We would love to hear what you do, and feel free to send a back link to your site.


Setting The Stage With Parents:
*Get bulk packets of Thank you cards and and colorful blank cards to have on hand.
*Memorize the names of every parent at the beginning of the year. I posted a cheat sheet in my teachers cabinet. There is nothing sweeter than a persons name.
*Getting to know parents and finding out what types of skills they have can really work to your benefit. Sewing, typing, computer, these are skills parents and extended families may be willing to share.


Positive Connections With Parents:
*Make sure you give families a call every now and then to give good news. I call usually every month to month and a half if I don't get much contact with them.
*If a child is out sick more than 2 days definitely give them a call.
*I have always been big on cards. Personal Thank You cards when a parent does something is a really big deal, not only to the child but for me as well.
I will also send a child's milestone achievement in a card as well.

Anything I can do to add a special touch, I will. Balancing can time is difficult with so many little ones and families. Being organized really helps!
It's never too late or too early to get started on great relationships...

No comments: