Saturday, April 24, 2010

Talking to Children About Fears and Worries

 “We've had bad luck with our kids - 
they've all grown up.”
~Christopher Morley

I never really thought much about young children having worries. It’s wasn’t until some years ago I began to really just make time to sit and have quite times with children that they would actually open up.
This conversation happened many years ago, but it always helped me to remember to make time to spend with children to talk about fears or worries.

I sat on the playground with Harley; his parents loved motorcycles, hence the name.
“Ms. Barbra? What do you think you will be when you grow-ed up?” He said playing with my hair.
I was delighted with the question. It’s a compliment from a preschooler to be thought of as young.
“Hmmmm,” I smiled to myself. “I guess I’ll have to still think about that one.”
“I know-ed what you mean, Ms. Barbra,” Harley sighed shaking his head, “I know-ed what you mean.”

No comments: