Friday, April 30, 2010

Simple

Put a grain of boldness into everything you do.
~Baltasar Gracian

It’s not often where children really have a chance to boast about their accomplishments. Having an audience to listen and really inviting open conversation about what is going on really does help encourage a preschoolers newly discovered skill, intelligence or talent. There is nothing worse than having something wonderful to share and feeling there is no one to share it with.
Here is one child’s story she shared at circle time….

“I can say any word. No word is too hard for me to say.” Sara boasted.
“What are you talking about now?” Max said. “You’re always saying stuff, how about you just show us.”
“I will, I will right now.” Sara said putting her hands on her hips. “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!”
“Wow!” The class muttered to themselves, they surely couldn’t say that.
“Hmmmm?” Max challenged. “Can you say,‘Peter Piper picked a peck of picked peppers’?”
“Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled pepper.” She said looking a bit bored.
“I guess your right. Cool.” Max conceded.
“Yeah-huh. Everything is so seeple for me. Just seeple to say.”
Max blinked. “Uh, don’t you mean, ‘simple’?”
“No. Seeple. It’s seeple for me to say.” Sara corrected holding one finger in the air for emphasis.
“Oh, whatever Sara, you’re the bomb.”
“Thanks, Max.”
“Welcome, Sara.”

No comments: