Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Honorable Mention: Encouraging Persistance in Preschoolers

 Did you ever stop to think, 
and forget to start again?
~Winnie the Pooh

I love persistence. I think it’s an admirable trait. I think characteristics we have can be polished and buffed just like stones.
I saw children today working together to get a wagon out of the mud. They argued if anyone should be sitting in it at first. Little voices got shrill.
When everyone got out, no on could agree on which direction to pull.
The children argued again and little arms were waving.
Then they finally agreed  an a direction the wagon came free and they hopped around congratulating each other.
They got about ten feet and the wagon was stuck again.
There was finger pointing but they knew what to do.
Could I have jumped in at any point-sure. The kids looked back at me every now and then and knew I was there. To their credit, I said nothing. I smiled and waved...I gave them a nodding look of encouragement. What pleased me most was that the kids have these skills to work together and are not falling a part at the seams.
Not bad for thee-years-olds.

No comments: