Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Hilarious Tales From a Preschool Classroom


"In Mexico we have a word for sushi: bait." 
~José Simons

I was in the middle of a parent conference when there was an interruption. A young T.A. insisted on bringing little three-year-old Alana in the room to for me to explain to her what just happened to the classroom pet, Sushi. Sushi had apparently died and the T.A. wanted me to explain what happened since Alana was so distraught. I was glad these parents were so understanding, but it made the situation even more awkward when the child was in the room with us. Of course, I took care of Alana’s needs and the parents looked on with the aid standing by.
I gave the T.A. an, "I'll Talk To You Later" glance and smile.
“So,” Alana sniffed. “Sushi is not coming back?”
“That’s right, Alana. She isn’t.”
“I can’t feed her anymore, then?” She shook her head.
“That’s right. She won’t be in the classroom anymore.” I continued. I felt my heartbreak for her but after about five minutes into the conversation I felt Alana had more of an understanding and motioned for the T.A. to take her by the hand.
As they began to walk out the door Alana ran to me and grabbed my arm, “But, Ms. Barbra! Ms. Barbra!” She pleaded.
I saw her big blue eyes looking up at me and realized I had to answer just one more question. The parent conference would just have to wait….this child clearly needed my attention.
“Yes, Alana? What is it?” I said holding both her hands in mine.
“Can we eat her for snack time, today?”

7 comments:

Jenni said...

HILARIOIUS! Absolutely darling!

Unknown said...

Hahahah!!! From the mouths of babes! Thanks for sharing this today. :)

Unknown said...

That is too funny! And what was your answer?

In honor of Teacher Appreciation Week, boojeebeads.com is having a contest where every teacher in your school can win a free gift! Check out the contest at http://www.facebook.com/pages/BooJee-Beads/199463822387?v=box_3&ref=mf

Barbra The Bloggess said...

Hi Jenni, Ms Jessi & Tracy.
In answer to your question I hugged her so her wouldn't see me trying not to laugh....
Everyone else however couldn't contain themselves.
When I let go of Alana (with a straight & sincere face) I suggested we eat 'goldfish crackers' and she could pass them out to everyone at snack time.
Alana shouted. 'Yepee!' and trotted out the door by herself.
I became good friends with the parents that day. We had a good laugh and went out for...you guessed it, Sushi later.

Barbra The Bloggess said...

I forgot to mention...Alana lives on a farm.
You think that had something to do with her response?

Unknown said...

Oh, yes the farm plays a big role! I live on a ranch and my kids know there are always new babies and when something dies (not for unknown reasons though) it ends up in our freezer or someone elses.

Barbra The Bloggess said...

Thanks Tracy, I thought so. My family had a similar background. I grew up around lots of plants and animals, too.
I think it does make a difference when you know and see life renewing itself....