Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Understanding Montessori in Early Childhood Education


Children have to be educated, but they have 
also to be left to educate themselves.  
~Abbé Dimnet, Art of Thinking, 1928

I have had the opportunity to have Montessori training and it is quite fascinating. It is a very organized way of thinking and learning and children are viewed as ‘working’. Although in Developmentally Appropriate Practice it is often said that a child’s work is their play, the word "play" isn’t used here in this environment even though the children learn and have fun. It is my own opinion that Montessori is often misunderstood because any school can give themselves a ‘Montessori’ title simply because it isn’t trademarked. Not a lot of families really know what to look for in a school or a teacher….hence, the misunderstandings….
One thing I look for is the AMS, The American Montessori Society. Teachers usually have evidence of their training posted in their classroom and know who the AMS is. A seasoned directress knows how to use and instruct the children.
With any good quality early childhood program, check it out thoroughly.
One very dedicated Montessori teacher that has really touched my heart has been Ms. Mars. I urge you to check out her blogsite on blogger;
Montessori in Mars   
You'll get the idea of what Montessori is about on her site.

2 comments:

Montessori on Mars said...

Thank you so much, Barbra; you've always been very kind to me. And you always inspire me to give back or share a little kindness as well. It is such a blessing and an honor. Thank you so much.

Barbra The Bloggess said...

Likewise Mars,
You really have a way with the children that touches my heart from what I can see waaaayyyyy over here.
Thank you.