Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sibling Rivalry In Early Childhood Education Environments


Adam and Eve had many advantages, but the 
principal one was that they escaped teething. 
~Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson, 1894
 

I have often worked with siblings in the preschool classroom. Twins, Triplets, on one occasion quadruples. I was so glad the mother chose not to dress them alike. What I have noticed is many parent usually have strong feelings about keeping the children either apart or together during the day in an early childhood setting. Everyone having small group times together, napping near each other and so on…I have found this interesting but not always in the child’s best interest-not every child is pleased as punch about that arrangement.
I was a middle child and doted heavily on my little sister who was about two years younger than me. Okay…I drove her up the wall. She has gorgeous children of her own and is a fabulous wife and mother and I still can’t see her past the age of 12.
My parents had me draw pictures of her while she was in her highchair just so I would keep my little sticky fingers off of her for a few seconds….my dad has told me that’s how I became an artist.
I look at the children and siblings playing within the early childhood setting. We often deal with conflict resolution, sibling rivalry, taking turns, sharing and tantrums.
Then I consider the skills the children build through the tears and laughter and hugs.
Even a plant needs a certain amount of stress to grow strong deep roots.
Future artists, doctors, lawyers,writers, engineers, ah-yes....teachers.....sigh
Isn’t that lovely…..

No comments: