Friday, February 12, 2010

Meaningful Art in Early Childhood Education


An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. ~Charles Horton Cooley



I failed every art class in school I took. Funny thing is, is that I have worked as a professional artist. Every time the teacher looked over my shoulder in class I would begin shaking.
My mom asked me if I wanted to take enrichment classes aside from school and I had a blast.
I know that my mind set and my school environment had somewhat of an impact on me.
Art is very therapeutic. I still draw and really love to receive drawings from the children. It really means something for most children to take the time, think and put on paper what they want to say though you in their own symbolic language…if they can’t yet write.
If you think about it; it really is a sacrifice on their part. Similar to us sitting down and writing a letter to one another.
Kind of touching when you think of it that way….isn’t it?
When is the last time you received a drawing from a child?

No comments: