Friday, January 8, 2010

The Last Push

Jenny was a ‘huggy’ type of girl. Usually, out of now where she would push someone down, too. Quite frankly, I think she was a cause-and-effect type of child. She enjoyed the trouble it caused and the effect of the attention she got….she had friends, though, and that was a good sign. By the time she was in my class preschool we were addressing the core issue of the problem.
“Sorry…that’s the last push…I won’t do’ed it no more, teacher Bah-Bah.” She would promise each time.
“You will come sit at the art table and make a card every time.” I explained.
Jenny had to make a special “I’m sorry” card to the child she pushed…I thought it slowed her down, helped her focus-she made quite a few of them……Then I overheard this touching conversation-and I changed my tactic.
At pick up time Jenny’s parents came to pick her up.
“I make’d three cards today!” Jenny boasted running to her parents.
“Gee, is that all? We’re so proud.” Said her father picking her up.
“Jenny, you have to do better…you know why, right?” Her mom said.
“Yeah…to get a little brother or sister.”
“When mommy had you,” her dad explained, “mommy said you were the “last push”…but we love you so much, we just have to have one more.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - you don't need Freud to figure that one out!

Barbra The Bloggess said...

In the famous words of the Little Rascal, 'Spanky', "Annnnnd how!"