Friday, November 13, 2009

The Honorable Mention: Team Teaching in Early Childhood Education


Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.
~ Albert Camus

Team teaching was challenging to me when I first did it. I never know that moving furniture around the classroom or changing the schedule could turn someone else’s world upside down. I learned certain people have different ways of doing things and it is important to communicate…communicate…communicate. Most of my team teaching experiences have been fabulously successful. We made the best of what materials we had, and our goals were the same…we clearly loved and valued the families and the children. Through our common goals we developed a respect for each other and a friendship at work. What I noticed when this happens, the children’s interactions with one another reflect another level of respect; the laughter, the friendship-perhaps, because they see it so prevalent, it all adds to the pleasantness of the environment. Those school years I didn’t have quite the same relationship with the team (I was with)... I really missed it. If you are fortunate enough to be in a team teaching situation…strive for excellence…it takes time, like all good things. The team works for the greater good…and what could be greater than a pleasant, positive environment for everyone to learn, laugh, and grow in friendship.

No comments: