Thursday, October 22, 2009

Analysis Paralysis

Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well-informed just to be undecided about them.
~ Laurence J. Peter


What to do…what to do…everyday is a new day with a shining new beginning. Bright smiling little faces may be looking at you for fun, excitement, learning and you’ve got……nothing. I am speaking of myself, of course. Some days I will admit, I feel like everything I have done with the children had gone wrong-or that I have simply sputtered out like a firecracker. In actuality, it couldn’t be further from the truth. It’s just a bad case of analysis paralysis. It’s very catchy…so be careful. Unlike the common cold or virus it only spreads when you over think or analyze-pouring... over a situation or subject far too long. When I first began teaching my first case of AP came with my preschool curriculum. Then I realized all the curriculum I will ever need comes from the children themselves….To this day, I have never run out of curriculum that has been engaging and exciting for both the families and the children. What we see in this life depends a lot on what we are mainly looking for. My friend, Morgane is an artist…she sees art everywhere, even in a hardware store. I have never known her to limit herself to canvas and paint. What I love about her and children is that everything about their creative mind says, “GO!”. So if you ever feel a case of AP coming on, you might need to get creative.

1 comment:

Dan Gurney said...

Yep. Trust the children. It can be helpful to recall that eople have grown up since time immemorial with or without advanced curricula. Mostly without ANY curricula. Abraham Lincoln somehow got through life without having attended the very best preschool of his day. They didn't have preschool then, and he came out okay. Same is true of the vast majority of the famous people you know.