Sunday, September 20, 2009

Tips to Promoting a Sense of Wonder in Early Childhood Education



















"Without the playing with fantasy no creative work has ever yet come to birth. The debt we owe to the play of imagination is incalculable."
~Carl Jung


Kids are naturally curious and have a great imagination. Keeping it alive to inspire creative thinking as well as language is part of my job as an early childhood educator. Many of the ways I promote creative thinking and language is through the language I use in the preschool classroom. Here are a few tips to help promate a sense of wonder through open ended questioning.


Teaching Tips to Promote a Sense of Wonder:
"I wonder if/why.." 
"How did that happen?" 
"What if..." 
"How do you think we could..." 
"How do you feel about.." 
"Can you tell me about.." 
"How many different ways can you..." 
"How is___and ___the same?" 
"Do you have some ideas about..."

We are always surprised and delighted by the answers I get from children!

    No comments: