Tuesday, March 1, 2011

How to Make a Purple Cow with Kids


The Purple Cow
By: Gelett Burgess
 
I never saw a purple cow, 
I never hope to see one,
But I can tell you, anyhow,
I'd rather see one than be one.

There is a peculiar excitement in the air when word gets out we will be making "Purple Cows' with the kids in the preschool. I love when something so simplistic can make a teachers day and a child's entire week!

How to make a Purple Cow:
1 part vanilla ice cream (optional)
1 part milk or soy milk
1 part grape juice
1/3 cup measuring cups
Ice cream scoop (optional)
Cups (for everyone)
Purple food coloring (optional)
Plastic spoons (for everyone)
Straws (optional)
Process: Have the children sit at a table a measure out the contents in each cup. I give them their own individual spoon to blend each ingredient. I usually have clear plastic cups for the children but it's not necessary. If you do decide to add some purple food coloring it gives it a gorgeous vibrant color that the children 'oooo-dle' over. We usually do give the children straws to drink it. There is something about straws and kids that just seem to go hand in hand.
What We Learned:
  • Hand-eye coordination
  • Spatial Awareness
  • Math and Measuring
  • "Cooking" and Creating

No comments: