Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Humorous Things Preschoolers Say in Early Childhood Education

“Grown-ups never understand anything for themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them.”
~Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince, 1943


Okay…..
Jack, a student in my preschool class, heard me say the word, “faux”.
And I am one that encourages creativity in my classroom…Oh, peaches and cream…I even make up words myself, sometimes….but I wasn’t sure where he was going with this one.
Jack is a child that speaks quite clearly, so when I heard him teaching another child to count their numbers I noticed his annunciation was off. I came over to investigate.
“One, two, three, faux, five, six…” Jack was counting sea shells with another child.
“Uh….Jack….”
“Yes, Ms. Barbra?”
“Would you count again, please, I would like to hear.”
“Sure. One, two, three, faux…”
“Uh, stop…”
“Ok.”
“Did you say four, (I annunciated my words) or faux?”
“Oh…I said faux (he annunciated his words).”
“Hmmm. I am wondering why you said that, Jack.”
“I like it better than ‘four’.”
“Oh…I see. Words can be fun, huh?”
“They are Ms. Barbra!”
“I’m glad you like words, Jack. Did you know that faux means fake, you know, like the play food in the house keeping area?”
“Oh. Well, I have been saying it all day.”
“Really? Tell me how?”
“Like………. I said to Liam, ‘you got a big faux head.’”
Okay…..don’t laugh….don’t laugh….don’t……..
“Jack that is not polite.”
“Sorry Ms. Barbra.”

It is not the culture in my preschool classroom for children to hurt one another's feelings. I am not sure if that was Jack’s intention but I had to be sure….of course, he apologized to Liam and Liam had no clue what Jack was talking about.
Amazing isn't it....
Kids just don't hold onto things like adults do...we have grievance policies, the EEOC, and Gloria Allred....

Have you had situations where kids had a certain amount of reasoning and explanation for why they did what they did?

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Ok, I just read this post and I couldn't stop laughing!! My son actually had to know what I was laughing at :) Kids say the cutest things, but his use of Faux was just perfect!!

Barbra The Bloggess said...

Hi Michelle,
When this happened I thought I was going to bust a corpuscle or something. To laugh at the kids right then and there is to end the conversation. I'm surprised I haven't been injured long ago.
:)